Artbreeder aims to be a new type of creative tool that empowers users creativity by making it easier to collaborate and explore. Originally Ganbreeder, it started as an experiment in using breeding and collaboration as methods of exploring high complexity spaces. Artbreeder is named after the research of Picbreeder which investigated the role of exploration in the optimization process. It is also inspired by an earlier project of mine Facebook Graffiti which demonstrated the creative capacity of crowds.
Member of the Artbreeder community have contributed to the website in various wonderful ways:
- The introduction video created by Ian Strandberg.
- The anime image model was made by Gwern.
- The dataset for the albums model was made by Alex Reben.
- The Artbreeder Bot was made by Max Hawkins.
- The furry image model was made by Arfa.
- The science bio art model was made by Xander.
- The painting model was made by Peter Baylies.
- Special thanks to WB for landscapes training.
Generative Adversarial Networks are the main technology enabling Artbreeder. Artbreeder uses BigGAN and StyleGAN models. There is a minimal open source version available that uses BigGAN.
Artbreeder has been generously supported by:
- Stochastic Labs
- DeepAI , an artificial intelligence company accelerating the world's transition to A.I.
Created by Joel and Studio Morphogen.